3/80 memory strangeness..

Howard C. Hart nova!hart at decwrl.dec.com
Thu Aug 24 04:52:23 AEST 1989

In article <791 at brazos.Rice.edu> mead%hamal.usc.edu at usc.edu (Dick Mead) writes:
>Looking for ideas on a strange problem encountered while trying to upgrade
>a 3/80's memory.  An attempt was made to upgrade from 8 meg to 12 meg, but
>with the 12 meg installed, the system never booted, in fact, the startup

I took Sun's Sparcstation and 3/80 class at Sun Expo. If I remember right,
the order of memory insertion is very important, and not in consecutive
slots. Since the system comes preconfigured with 8MB, and 16MB is a fully
populated machine, could it be that you inserted the additional 4MB in the
wrong slot order? Just a guess.

Howard C. Hart                  UUCP:{sun!sunncal,pyramid}!leadsv!laic!nova!hart
Lockheed Missiles and Space Co.
Orgn 59-53, Bldg 593            Ph: (408) 743-2253 or -7353
Sunnyvale, CA 94086