nfs problem?

Cecilia R. Panicali acf3!crp at cmcl2.nyu.edu
Thu Aug 10 04:55:15 AEST 1989

Can anyone please tell me if this is a sun 3.5 nfs problem and (if so,
whether it's fixed in sun 4.0.3 which i'm about to install on a number of
my machines) or an nfs problem?  Here's a scenario:

Harry is on a Sun 3/50 which mounts a file system from a 3/280. He exits
vi w/ :wq! and sees a message such as nfs timeout for server whatever...
He subsequently loses his work in the period of time between when vi
thinks the file was saved and the file is really saved.

need i say why i'm not even going to try to find someone at sun who can
answer this  - and sorry i haven't been reading the groups religiously so
i probably missed any discussions about this anywhere when 3.5 came out so
long ago! i just increase my timeo, etc. in my fstabs, but i am a little
worried!