VMS BACKUP Revisited

John Red-horse jrredho at sandia.gov
Wed Aug 23 08:53:00 AEST 1989

Hello,

Thanks to all that sent replies regarding my question on reading VMS
backup formatted files on my SUN.  Almost all referred me to a program by
John Douglass Carey and Sven-Ove Westberg that is available at
uunet.uu.net.  There is a problem with this however.  I had obtained a
copy of this utility some time ago and found that it reads VMS backup
*TAPES* and that it does it quite well.  However, the tape interface is
fairly hard-wired into the code.  My problem is that I need to be able to
read savesets that are *FILES*, shipped, for example, to my SUN via
kermit.  I'm reasonably sure that the generalization of this utility is
straightforward for someone who is familiar with many of the inherent
difficulties... I only hope that someone else has already found a need to
do so.

Cheers,

John Red-Horse                           INTERnet:JRRedho at sandia.gov
Org 1524(Engineering Analysis Div)                JRRedho at Sandia-2.arpa
Sandia National Laboratories
Albuquerque, NM   87185-5800    Bell:	(505) 846-0870