Unix-based Sun/Mac printer sharing + file-transfer software ??

Eric Ho eho at cognito.princeton.edu
Fri Aug 25 14:52:23 AEST 1989

Does anyone out there know of any Unix-based printer sharing software that
allows me to print Mac files on my Sun LaserWriter ?  -- i.e. I want my
Sun LaserWriter remain attached to the back of my Sun-4 (running SunOS
4.0.1), that is I still want my Sun to control all the spooling to the
LaserWriter.

I've Transcript 2.1 running on my Sun and I would like this package to
work with rather than replacing Transcript (there're many others in the
group who depend heavily on Transcript for their day-to-day work so I
can't lose Transcript).

Obviously I need to get some sort of ethernet card (probably from Kinetics
?) since I'm just talking about 1 Mac here (no point to spend all that
money to get an AppleTalk<->Ethernet gateway) but I don't want to spend
the money until I'm sure that the needed software exists at a reasonable
price.  I think that the file-transfer software should be pretty
straightforward and the price should be quite reasonable (if public domain
versions don't exist yet for the Mac ether card).  My worry is with
printer sharing software.  The only one that I heard of is K-Spool from
Kinetics that runs as a daemon on the Suns (with some kernel modifications
I heard ?) but the price is kind of ridiculous -- it is more expensive
than the ether card itself.  It cost something like $600~$700 when I can
get an ethernet card for the Mac-2 for under $500 !  The only
public-domain software I heard of that provides both Unix-based printer
sharing and file-transfer is the KIP & CAP packages from Stanford &
Columbia respectively but my impression is that they only work on the
Kinetics FastPath and I don't think that my need is justified to buy an
expensive gateway box for just 1 Mac.

I'm interested if anyone knows of any alternative.

--

Eric Ho
Cognitive Science Lab.,		Princeton University
voice = 609-987-2819 (x2987)	email = eho at confidence.princeton.edu
					eho at bogey.princeton.edu
regards.

-eric-