partitions (bad idea ??)

Root Boy Jim rbj at dsys.ncsl.nist.gov
Tue Aug 22 01:04:39 AEST 1989

? From:    Chris Torek <chris at mimsy.umd.edu>

? eho at cognito.princeton.edu (Eric Ho) asks:

? >The only reason that I can see to have the notion of partitions around
? >from the OS standpoint is to limit filesystem size (& to make a filesystem)
? >and maybe easier for doing backups.

? The main reason for partitions is to limit file system size (adminstrators
? may have their own reasons for doing this; the kernel does not care, so
? long as the FS sizes fit in the 32 bit numbers the kernel uses) and/or to
? create separate file systems on a single physical medium.

Well, yes, this is a very good reason for the existence of partitions.  Of
course, there are others. For example, an application (or group of them)
which uses large amounts of space can be fenced in by partitions.

However, my favorite use of them is as read-only space. Take all your
distribution tapes, sources, etc., put them in a RO partition, and make
symlinks links elsewhere to them. They are now uncorruptible, even by
root. They are also quick to access; no updating atimes.

	Root Boy Jim
	Have GNU, Will Travel.