Raw ethernet access, summary

David W. Minnich fibercom!dwm at uunet.uu.net
Wed Aug 30 08:14:15 AEST 1989

Thanks for all the responses about raw ethernet access.  Lots of people
referred me to NIT (4), which appears to suit my needs.  Below is the
summary I promised:

The nit interface has changed quite a bit between 3.5 and 4.x.  The 3.x
version was socket based, where the 4.x interface uses streams.  See the
man page for details.  There is a good bit of example code available from
various sources.  Some of these are listed below.

	1) etherlib, recently mentioned in this forum and available from
		columbia.edu as pub/etherlib.tar.Z  (this is a nice package)
	2) Kevin Lahey (kml at mosquito.cis.ufl.edu) has some code which reads packets,
		but does not write.
	3) proxyarpd, available through the rice archive server
	4) arpserv, available by anonymous ftp from s1.msi.umn.edu (this is written
		to run under either 3.5 or 4.x)
	5) traceroute, available by anonymous ftp from ftp.ee.lbl.gov

David W. Minnich (root at fibercom)    INTERNET: root at fibercom.com
FiberCom, Inc.                      UUCP: ...!uunet!fibercom!root
P.O. Box 11966                      FAX: (703) 342-5961
Roanoke, VA  24022-1966             PHONE: (703) 342-6700, (800) 423-1183