NEC LC890 problems

Frank Gorishek amdcad!cayman!frank at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 23 00:16:21 AEST 1989

In sun-spots v8i92, joe at islsun5.mse.lehigh.edu (Joe Sieczkowski) writes:

| I was never able to get XON/XOFF to work proberly with my NEC LC 890
| PostScript printer.  I'm running Sun version 3.5.  It seems like the sun
| never sees the ^S from the printer.  My final solution was to set the
| printer at 1200 baud .... ie spoon feed it.

| If I even think about increasing the baud rate to 9600...the printer
| looses output.  If anyone out there knows a solution to this I would
| appreciate it.

We had the same type of problem here.  As it turns out the LC890 doesn't
drive "true RS232" (i.e., it drive +/- 5volts NOT +/- 12volts).  The
serial port on the sun just can't see anything the LC890 sends out.  We
replaced the printer, however there are such things as TTL/RS232
converters.

--frank

--
Frank Gorishek