1989 SUGtape

SUG tapes sugtape%doffice at sun.com
Sat Aug 26 10:22:55 AEST 1989

Subject: 1989 SUGtape

The 1989 SUGtape is now being edited, with distribution planned for the
December SUGfest.  This means that any (wonderful, unique) source code
should be sent in *now*.  The rules for acceptance are (approximately):

  if (! Submission_form)		 		return(-1);

  value = useful + sun_related - generally_available;

  if (sizeof archive <   250000 && value > 0)		return(0);
  if (sizeof archive <  1000000 && value > 2)		return(0);
  if (sizeof archive <  5000000 && value > 4)		return(0);
  if (sizeof archive < 10000000 && value > 6)		return(0);
  return(-1);

We can accept submissions by tape, floppy, email, ftp, or whatever, but we
*must* have a signed submission form in hard copy.  We will tend to reject
packages that are commonly available, unless they are very small.  We give
high priority to code that is specific to Suns.  Larger archives tend to
be less hassle (per byte) for us to process, but they must justify the
space they occupy.

We are currently planning to cut a single tape, containing ~60 MB of code
and such.  Major sections will be compressed, so the whole thing will fit
on either a 1600 bpi 1/2" tape or (naturally) a 60 MB cartridge.  The
main items thus far are:

					MB

  comp.sources.sun			~3

  Don Hopkins' NeWS nifties		~10
  GoodNeWS				~8

  1988 SexTape nifties			~10

  Sun-Spots digests			~16
  Sun-Spots source archives		~6
					===
					~53

While it looks (from the list above) like we could wrap a tape right now,
there may be some drop-outs and/or major additions.  If a *whole lotta*
stuff comes in, we may be able to cut *two* 1989 tapes.  Depending on the
amount of material we get from the 1989 Software EXchange, we might be able
to put out a 1990 tape...  (You get the idea.)

Anyway, we'd like to hear about stuff we should include, particularly if you
are (or can lead us to) the source.

	Sincerely yours,

	the 1987 SUGtape Committee

P.S. Tapes and/or forms may be sent to the Sun User Group, Bldg. 10,
     2550 Garcia Ave., Mountain View, CA  94043, USA.