SunOS 4.0.3 memory leak?

Jon Kay kay at cme.nist.gov
Sat Aug 19 08:18:00 AEST 1989

I'm running SunOS 4.0.3, customarily with X as my window manager, on a
4-meg 3/60, and have been seeing the following behavior:

Upon boot, everything is great; everything's fast and there's little
paging even when I have all my usual junk up on the screens (5 xterms, an
emacs, and, recently, the color xfish).  Everything will be smooth for a
while.

By three days later, things are, while far from sluggish, my wishes for
more memory are stirring.  There's about a 10% chance that the machine
will crash that day or the next.  By five days later, things *are*
sluggish.  If know what's good for my filesystems, I should really
voluntarily reboot now.  It's survived out to nine days only once.  At
that point, I was unable to move the cursor without paging occurring.
When the crash came, upon reboot, the kernel complained that it couldn't
allocate enough buffers.  The 'k 2' monitor command (powerup hard reset)
cleared things up.  Even on less desperate reboots, there would sometimes
be less catastrophic braindamage which I used 'k 2' to get rid of.

Has anybody else out there experienced similar problems?  Nobody else at
my site seems to use any 4-meg Suns atall, and they look at me as though
I'd told them that space aliens were invading the grounds.

					Jon Kay