syslogd not logging under 4.0.3

Ruth Milner SYSRUTH at utorphys.bitnet
Wed Aug 16 02:53:00 AEST 1989

Jeff Gabel (jeff at wubios.wustl.edu) reports:

>We upgraded to SunOS 4.0.3 14 July 89 and since that time syslogd has not
>logged a single message.

We upgraded from 3.{2FCS|4|5} last week and I have since noticed the same
behaviour on all of our systems *except* some diskless 3/50's which get
boot information from a Sun 4/280 and then mount root and /usr from a
Silicon Graphics 4D/240. However I think the difference with these may be
due to the fact that I created their setups (with the exception of vmunix
and the /usr/kvm stuff, which was copied from a 3/180) from the 68030
tapes.  Is anybody out there running a 3/80 or another of the 68030
systems which does logging correctly?

Our setup is the Sun default, where /usr/adm points to /var/adm. Syslogd
runs as root, so it should have no trouble writing to this directory even
if the permissions didn't explicitly allow it (which they do). We do have
the "define(LOGHOST, 1)" line in place. Is this still required under
4.0.3?  I tried removing it on our 3/180 (after noticing that I hadn't put
it into the 3/50s' syslog.confs) but it didn't seem to make any
difference.

Ruth Milner
Systems Manager
University of Toronto Physics