NFS, AUTOMOUNT, and QUOTA interaction problems under SunOS 4.0.1

P. Allen Jensen jensen at bessel.eedsp.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 8 01:33:12 AEST 1989

Our network has several fileservers, so we have been using automount to
mount users home directories when they log in.  We are also using quotas
as our users were not capable of keeping their disk usage within
reasonable limits.  However, when one of our servers that is in the
Automounters database goes down, everyone hangs on login trying to check
quotas (the quota command also hangs).  We have tried both soft and hard
mounts, interruptable and non-interruptable, but nothing seems to help the
situation.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what we might try next ?

Thanks,

P. Allen Jensen
Georgia Tech, School of Electrical Engineering, Atlanta, GA  30332
USENET: ...!{allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,ulysses}!gatech!eedsp!jensen
INTERNET: jensen at eedsp.gatech.edu