Loss of vertical mouse movement in suntools/sunview

Thomas W Jones twj at ho7cad.att.com
Thu Aug 31 23:50:17 AEST 1989

In article <1027 at brazos.Rice.edu>, karim at uncecs.edu (Omar A. Karim) writes:
> The SUN 4/110 which I have has recently developed a marked loss of mouse
> control in the vertical direction. The only way to get SOME movement is to
> press hard on the pad. Rebooting and shutting off doesnt help always.
> Sometimes it does help.  This problem comes and goes although today I cant
> seem to get around it in any way. Are there and fellow sufferers? Can
> someone offer any fix? Is this a bug-feature or simply a decay of the
> system which is 0.5 yrs old? This is a standalone system with 8 Mb.
>
> Any help will be appreciated... moving the mouse around in large circles
> on the pad doesnt help.
>
> Thanks.
> Omar A. Karim

Replace the mouse. Sun apparently had a bad batch of them. We got 8
sparcstation 1's in recently, and 3 of the 8 had the problem. We contacted
sun, and they replaced the mice; and we haven't experienced the problem
since. Other people I know have had the same problem with 3/60's, so it's
not a sun 4 problem. BTW: if you compare the mouse with another
workstation's that works ok, you'll notice the intensity of the red light
(on the bottom) isn't as high.

Also, ours were still under warantee, so we didn't have to pay for
it ...

twj