newfs -m options

R. Poffenberger poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
Tue Aug 1 00:49:40 AEST 1989

>I have recently used the -m option to reserve half of the normal 10% on 2
>of our 892 MB disks.  We've only been running on these disks for about a
>month, but so far I haven't been sorry I did it.  Instead of losing 88MB
>to free space I picked up about 45MB extra space on the disk.  Since we do
>not run quotas I don't ever see this being a problem.

You might want to check on the -o option if you use -m. By using -m to set
the free space to less than 10%, the filesystem is optimized for disk
space usage by default. If 10% or greater, the file system is optimized
for speed. You can override these defaults using -o.

R. Poffenberger
poffen at sj.ate.slb.com

Schlumberger Technologies
ATE division.

...In a dictatorship, people siffer without complaining,
   In a democracy, people complain without suffering.