Exabyte on Sparcstation-1 ?

Mike Crawford pyramid!octel!mike at uunet.uu.net
Thu Aug 31 10:05:33 AEST 1989

As long as we are discussing Exabytes...

We have a peculiar bug in in which, whenever we do a restore from our
Exabyte, our ALM-2 ports get trashed.  What happens to them is when one
types on them, nothing comes is echoed.  When pressing the return key,
what was typed is then echoed.  Rebooting will fix this.

I would like to be able to move my Exabyte from the 3/180 to our 3/60,
partially to avoid this problem, but I do need a proper cable set and
driver.  It is not clear to me that this will work.  I plan to go to 4.0.3
soon -- but I wanted to see what kind of excitement it would generate on
the net!

We have an exabyte on a Sun 3/180 running SunOS 4.0.1.  We are using a
Ciprico Rimfire SCSI controller.  From /sys/sun3/conf/OCTEL:

# the Rimfire (cipricol) Controller & SCSI for Exabyte
# a SCSI tape (expbyte) at Target ID=5, Logical Unit Number=0,
#
controller      rfsdc0 at vme16d32 ? csr 0x5000 priority 2 vector
rfsdintr 0xF8
tape            rfsd0 at rfsdc0 drive 40 flags 0x00211
#

We also have for the mcp,

pseudo-device	mcpa64

device		mcp0 at vme32d32 ? csr 0x01000000 flags 0x1ffff priority 4
	vector mcpintr 0x8b

Michael David Crawford			Consulting for:
Oddball Enterprises			Octel Communications Corp
694 Nobel Drive				890 Tasman Drive
Santa Cruz, CA 95060			Milpitas CA 95035
pyramid!vsi1,!octel!mike
CI$ 72377,623