strange shell behavior after file transfer over ALM board

Gilbert Harman ghh at cognito.princeton.edu
Thu Aug 10 07:23:10 AEST 1989

I have a Macintosh connected by a 9600 baud line to a port on an ALM board
in a Sun 4 running the new operating system.  If I transfer 10K or more
text from the Mac to the sun at top speed, e.g. by streaming a large file
across, the Sun will get one or more characters behind.  So, for example,
if I type "abcde" the "a" might not appear until I press "c" and then "b"
will appear after I press "d" etc.

I can cure this by logging out, which is tricky since I have to remember
<enter> in order to make get the exit command recognized by the Sun 4.

This behavior tends to prevent file transfers using kermit or Xmodem if
the file is over 10K characters.

Has anyone else seen a problem of this sort and does anyone
know how to fix it?
--
		       Gilbert Harman
                       Princeton University Cognitive Science Laboratory

		       ghh at princeton.edu
		       HARMAN at PUCC.BITNET