Graphics packages...High Prices

Sridhar Acharya sytek!syteka.ARPA!sridhar at hplabs.hp.com
Fri Aug 4 04:08:57 AEST 1989

In v8n75 Chuck Musciano writes:

>I have a general rule that software above the $10,000/seat price is simply
>too expensive.  Period.  I have looked at four packages that fall into
>this range: Interleaf ($12,500), SES/Workbench ($30-50,000!),
>DataViews($20,000), and a software metrics package whose name escapes me ($25,000)
>I was able to write tools which mimicked the basic functionality
>of Dataviews in about one week.

We are looking at Dataviews for providing a graphic interface to our
product on Suns, but as mentioned it's real expensive. Also the cost of
our product will also go up by (2-3k) as you have to pay for licencing it
on the product.

We need the capabilities like real time display of various graphs,
graphics editor etc. supported by Dataviews. I am wondering if there are
similar packages available for lesser price or if we wan't do do it
ourself are there any PD packages which we can take help from.

Thanks a bunch for any pointers.

Sridhar Acharya
Software Engineer.
Hughes Lan Systems.