12 Megs on a 3/60

Jon Shultis jon at incsys.com
Wed Aug 23 01:21:03 AEST 1989

We have also experienced the mystery memory problem with 12 Meg 3/60's.
We replaced a supposedly faulty SIMM, rotated all of the SIMMs on one
machine, and replaced the motherboard, to no avail.  Finally, our local
SUN field technician tinkered with it and managed to find a SIMM that
worked OK.  I thought we had a unique problem, but given the frequency and
flakiness of the behavior, I suspect your hypothesis about faulty timing
design is right.

Another 3/60 running 12 Megs had a different behavior, and I wonder if
it's at all related.  Periodically it would hand with all of the LED's lit
and the screen black, or with a pattern of vertical stripes.  This tended
to occur especially just before the fsck during boot-up.  We replaced the
power supply, the motherboard, then the whole chassis.  The problem occurs
less often now, but is still there.  Is anybody else having this problem?

Regards,
Jon Shultis