File Directory Tree browsing

Caleb Hess hess at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Thu Feb 9 17:20:16 AEST 1989

In article <511 at solaris.UUCP> mcvax!cernvax!solaris!wyle at uunet.uu.net (Mitchell Wyle) writes:
>Even the file browser in NeXt has only two directory levels.  When I saw
>the 386i demo'd, there was a file-tree display program which showed many
>levels of directories, but the system was slow, and you still had to cd to
						     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>the directory to do any useful work. ...

I don't know about the 386i demo you saw, but on my 386i the organizer
with map option allows me to view a directory subtree and double-click on
any file I can see.  If the file is executable, double-clicking invokes
it; otherwise, double-clicking opens an editor window for it.  Yes, it is
slow; I usually find the keyboard/command window to be faster than using
the mouse.  But the visualization is available, and it is nice at times.

I have also recently had occasion to play with a NeXT box, and I find the
NeXT browser to be less intuitive than the 386i organizer, as well as less
flexible (limited to three columns, while the 386i window can be resized to
spread a tree clear across the screen).