Xy 753 cables

Steve Jay ultra!shj at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 9 19:01:13 AEST 1989

In v7n134, aad at stepstone.com (Anthony A. Datri) says:
> I've never seen a 753, but if they're like just about every other board
> made in the last 15 years, it's what DEC calls a "Berg" connector.

I have seen a 753 (we just installed one), and it does not use a "Berg"
connector.

They look like miniature DB connectors, and the cables we got just clip
on, with buttons to squeeze to release.  I don't what they are, but I like
them:  no tools needed, seem to be reliable, and the cables themselves are
thin & flexible.  If only we could get Ethernet tranceiver connections
with the same cable & connector.

As to the original question, with a 753 you must daisy-chain the A cable
(only one A cable connector on the 753), and terminate the A cable at the
last drive.  As I remember it, the total length of the A cable must be
short - 15 or 25 feet max.  All the disks must be close to the controller,
and use minimum length segments to go from drive to drive.  Whoever you
buy drives from should have details.

Steve Jay                       domain: shj at ultra.com
Ultra Network Technologies	Internet: ultra!shj at ames.arc.nasa.gov
101 Daggett Drive               uucp: ...ames!ultra!shj
San Jose, CA 95134
408-922-0100