read only /usr

Dinah Anderson dinah at shell.UUCP
Thu Feb 2 00:22:30 AEST 1989

We have opted to mount /usr rw. Many of our systems change on a daily
basis and we do not want to unmount (i.e. re-boot since mount now lives in
/usr/etc!) and re-mount /usr everytime we want to make a change to the
system. (install software, change kernels, etc.) It would be a nightmare.
Now we have the nightmare of worrying about a corrupted /usr. We are just
starting to migrate to 4.0 and we are making a lot of decisions on how we
think things work. Where possible, we are trying to use new 4.0 features
(like the automounter). It is not clear that the /usr mounted ro is a
feature we want to use.

I hope to see more discussion here about the pros and cons so that we can
make a more educated decision about this as we continue with our
migration.

Dinah Anderson
Shell Oil Company, Information Center (713) 795-3287
...!{sun,psuvax,soma,rice,ut-sally,ihnp4}!shell!dinah