How well do HP and SUN workstations mix

scott at longs.lance.colostate.edu scott at longs.lance.colostate.edu
Wed Feb 1 08:47:14 AEST 1989

We have 11 HP 9000/320's and 330's running HP-UX 6.2 with NFS sharing a
network with 4 SUN 3/50's and 150 VAXstations, all running some variant of
UNIX.  NFS YP, and X to and from HP's works well for us.  The problem you
may have is that HP-UX is a System V kernel with "BSD enhancements."  You
can share account and file space between HP and SUN, but be careful with
.login and .cshrc.  HP-UX and SunOS don't always agree on what you can put
in these files.  Our approach has been to partition the HP filespace from
the SUN's and VAXen.  You may be interested in a BSD port to HP 3XX's from
the University of Utah CS dept.  (hpbsd-dist at cs.utah.edu)

Scott C Douglas
Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
College of Engineering
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523
303-491-7954