Problems with lofs on Sun-3/4, SunOS 4.0, 4.0.1

Joerg Schilling - H. Berthold AG Berlin sunuk!sungy!berthold!joerg at sun.com
Tue Feb 28 22:07:04 AEST 1989

/sbin/mount and /usr/etc/mount only know  how to deal with the filesystem
types "ufs", "nfs" and "pc". If you specify any other filesystem type, it
calls a program named mount_xxx where xxx is the filesystem type.  To
mount any filesystem of type "lo" it generates an arg vector similar to an
struct mntent and then calls the program mount_lo via execlp.

If you want to mount any "lo" filesystems, you schould have
/usr/etc/mount_lo available and /usr/etc in your search path.

Add after the line:

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/etc:/usr/ucb

a line :

EXPORT PATH

to the file /etc/rc.local

and your mount will work.

NOTE:
I positively know this for 4.0 and 4.0.1. I hope this will work as well if
you have the  NSE extensions for 3.4/5.

        J. Schilling
        H. Berthold AG
        Teltowkanalstr. 1-4