Sun Education Course Announcement

Susan Morin susan at sun.com
Wed Feb 22 10:32:31 AEST 1989

This is a new course. If you want information about our other courses,
please let me know and I will send you a current course catalog.

Thank you.
Susan Morin
Course Development Manager
Educational Services
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Course:    C-Shell Programming UP-120

Duration:  3 days

Dates:     March 13 - 15
           April 24 - 26
           May 15 - 17
           June 12 - 14

Tuition:   $600

Location:  Sun Microsystems Education Center
           1494 California Circle
           Milpitas, CA 95058

Registration:
         Please call our registrar at (800) 422-8020.

         When registering, please have this information
         ready:

         name of student(s)
         company name, invoicing address, phone
         course title (SunOS Internals)
         course number (UP-450)
         date you wish to attend
         terms of payment

Questions:
         Gary Morin, Programming Training Manager,
         (408) 276-3632, or via email sun\!gmorin
         or gmorin at sun.com.

Overview:

This is a new offering, providing an in-depth examination of C-shell
programming.

This course is designed for advanced SunOS users, SunOS programmers, and
SunOS system administrators.

This course teaches students how to develop customized commands,
read/write administrative scripts, and program the C shell.

The C-Shell is discussed as a programming language.

Extensive hands-on experience includes developing and debugging shell
programs.

The course will primarily discuss the C-Shell, but includes a comparison
of features of both Bourne and C-Shell.

Prerequisites:

* Create programs using the editors vi or textedit.
* Navigate directories using SunOS commands.
* Familiarity with SunOS user interface.
* Familiarity with programming concepts.

Objectives:

Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to:

* Describe and understand the C-Shell process, including
  a description  of the .login and .cshrc initialization
  files.
* Use SunOS utilities such as grep, awk, sed, tr.
* Use regular expressions to filter and extract
  data patterns.
* Define and identify the Shell environment.
* Define and identify the Shell variables and parameters.
* Create and debug shell scripts using special
  commands and procedures.
* Use C-Shell programming constructs.

Outline:

* Description and basics of the C-Shell
  (metacharacters, regular expressions, quoting, rules)
* SunOS tools used in C-Shell Programming (grep, awk, sed)
* Creating Shell programs
* Passing arguments to C-Shell programs
* C-Shell variables
* Control structures
* Looping
* Built-in commands and features
* Sub-shells
* Debugging and error processing
* Comparison of C-Shell and Bourne Shell programs