NFS as an add on product?

Tim Perala tperala at ub.d.umn.edu
Wed Feb 8 16:21:40 AEST 1989

We are running a BSD4.2 derivative OS on one of our campus' superminis.
The particular manufacturer is not important.

This company recently added NFS server support to the system.

The rub is that they wany what I consider to a large sum of money to
purchase this as an add-on product.

I understand that they must be paying royalties to Sun Microsystems, but
the cost (initial license plus maintenance) seems unreasonable.

My question is this;  How are other vendors of UNIX handling the
situation?  Is there precedence for charging for "value added" options to
UNIX which are generally considered to be an industry standard?

I want to cry foul, but I would like the opinion of others, either vendors
or users, concerning this situation.

Please email to me, I'll summarize if there is enough interest.

	Thanks.

	Tim Perala
	Systems Programmer
	Information Services