3rd party ESDI drives for 3/260

Jeff Weber cg-atla!weber at decvax.dec.com
Thu Feb 9 09:56:22 AEST 1989

uvm-gen!matrox!rob at uunet.uu.net (Robert Keller) writes:
>We wish to upgrade a SUN 3/260 containing a single 90 Meg drive to about
>400 Meg of disk storage.  Which 3rd party ESDI drives work with the
>Adaptec SCSI/ESDI controller card?  Is the Maxtor XT-4380E a good choice?

We have been using PRIAM 638 and MICROPOLIS 1558 for about a year now and
both have been fine.  The 1558 is listed in Sun's 3.5 format program and
the PRIAM is compatible.  I haven't seen enough differences to judge one
over the other, the 1558 may be somewhat quieter but in a 3/260 you'll
never hear it.

Price between the two would be only guiding factor, in fact we build
systems with them and have one a second source for the other.

Notice that we didn't qualify the Maxtors and early Maxtors have often
been less than perfect.

Basically, any of the 380MB disks from the above manufacturers will be
just fine with Sun's (Emulex's MD-21) SCSI/ESDI disk controller.  The new
780MB ESDI's require a newer version of the controller that is not being
shipped in Suns *I think*

	Jeff