Problems with format (4.

ajw at manatee.cis.ufl.edu ajw at manatee.cis.ufl.edu
Thu Feb 16 17:28:31 AEST 1989

So, I got this incredibly cheap Fujitsu M2249 which looks great.  I can
make filesystems and generally use the drive on a 3/50.  But, I've so far
been unable to actually *format* the thing.  Here's what happens:

format sd0
Searching for disks...done
selecting sd0: <Fujitsu M2249SA>
[disk formatted, defect list found]

format> format
Ready to format. Formatting cannot be interrupted
and takes 11 minutes (estimated). Continue? y
Beginning format. The current time is Thu Feb  9 11:48:46 1989

Warning: Using default mode select parameters.
Warning: Drive format may not be correct.

Block 3  (0/0/3), Fatal non-media error (illegal request)
failed
format>

The warning messages are undocumented.  Sigh.

I've put in the first couple of lines of the defect list to make format
happy.  I've done media test on cylinder 0 all night with no errors.  The
"right stuff" is in the format.dat file.  I'm very wary of actually
putting this thing on a professors desk until it formats for my eyes.  Any
ideas?

--Andy