Sun386i "as" bug?

Admin root at mfgfoc.uucp
Wed Feb 1 19:21:18 AEST 1989

System: Sun386i, SunOS 4.0.1

While attempting to compile g++-1.32 with gcc-1.32, I have encountered a
somewhat strange problem.  It seems that gcc places a ".file" line in each
assembly file it creates.  And usually Sun's assembler does not
complain--- except when the filename given is longer than 14 characters
(my guess, assuming the limit came from System V).  The assembler promptly
gives the error message stating that the filename is too long and exits.

Can anybody else reproduce this problem?  Should this happen?

Please reply to the digest or to cheers!greg at lll-winken.llnl.gov.

-greg