in.rshd problems

Paul Fox mcvax!marlow!fox at uunet.uu.net
Wed Feb 8 04:55:06 AEST 1989

We're running X11 rel 3 on our Suns now. One of the guys here decided to
use 'rsh server xterm' to get better performance on his 3/50 (avoid so
much swapping, etc). Seemed reasonable to me, until we ran out of swap
space, and I shouted at him. When I looked to see why we ran out of swap
space it was due to the in.rshd process, and not the cshells or xterms.

Doing a size /usr/etc/in.* shows that most of the in.* are pretty
reasonable sizes, (8K text + 8K data + 10-50K bss). in.rshd has the same
except, its bss is 1MB !! It doesnt take many of these to run out of swap
space.

The question is why is in.rshd SO LARGE. My feelings are that someones got
a table in the code with one or two too many 0's on the end of an array
specifier.

Any clues anyone ? Oh yeah, this is on Sun OS 4.0.1.

      Tel: +44 628 891313 x. 212
      UUCP:     fox at marlow.uucp