help with sockets

Chris Elvin celvin%ee.surrey.ac.uk at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 16:51:53 AEST 1989

Does anybody out there know anything about the black art of sockets and
RPC on sun machines?  To be more precise:  I am trying to exapnd the
number of tty lines controlled by a diskless sun workstation.  The
workstation has only got 2 serial ports and I am working on a project
requiring direct control of upto 5 serial devices.  Rather than spend a
lot of money on a terminal concentrator to attach to the ethernet, I was
wondering if there was any straightforward way of using sockets and a
suitable daemon to utilise spare tty lines on another machine.  The
hardware used is 4 3/60M diskless stations attached to a 3/280S
file-server all running SUNOS 3.5. Ideally, I would like to use 5 tty
lines on the server, leaving the workstation(s) to do the fancy graphics.
I would like the workstation to view the lines as files (sockets) thus
relieving the programmers involved from learning about RPC.

	Thanx in advance.

	C.
--

Christopher Elvin,
Computer Systems
   Support Officer,              Network Address : celvin at ee.surrey.ac.uk
Dept. of Electronic and          Telephone       : +44 483 571281  ext. 9104
   Electrical Engineering        Direct line     : +44 483 509104
University of Surrey,            Telex           : +44 859331
Guildford,                       Fax             : +44 483 300803
Surrey, GU2 5XH.