odd things defined in Sun make 4.0

John Bowe jbowe at pineapple.bbn.com
Thu Feb 23 04:42:48 AEST 1989

mjr at cthulhu.welch.jhu.edu (Marcus J. Ranum):
> Is it normal for all makes to have a target coded into them for
> 'markfile.o', depending on 'markfile' and grabbing the sccsid from it ?
>
> I did a "make -p" the other day, and noticed this little hack, just
> waiting to bite someone.

This is also true of SunOS 3.[45].

Try this one (curtesy r$):
Create a file named "markfile" that has only RCS info and check it in
	% cat >markfile
	$Header:$
	$Log:$
	% ci markfile
now, with the sysV-derived MAKE, you'll automatically get a file that has
	static char _sccsid[] = "$Header: markfile r1.3, 10/10/89 ...";
as its only line, which you can compile and do an "ident" on to see the
revision.

	john	<jbowe at bbn.com>