Looking for another Editor

Bennett Todd bet at orion.mc.duke.edu
Tue Feb 28 23:27:44 AEST 1989

I personally prefer an EMACS-style editor over vi(1); I use GNU Emacs for
tasks where its power seems justified, but when I just want to edit a file
I use JOVE -- Jonathan's Own Version of EMACS. It has the user interface
and much of the power of EMACS, but consumes no more resources than vi(1),
and is portable across UNIX and microcomputers (ports exist to MS-DOS and
Macintosh). On the one hand it doesn't have ELISP, or many of the more
amazing GNU EMACS packages that are written in ELISP; on the other hand,
it is only a few hundred Kbytes, it handles multiple windows on multiple
files, it has the rebindable keyboard, keyboard macros, interactive shell
windows, regular expression handling, and suchlike features that I
routinely want in an editor, and it has enough of the nice frills
(compile-it in particular) to feel reasonably cushy. Check it out. I
scarfed my version via anonymous FTP from cs.rochester.edu.

-Bennett
bet at orion.mc.duke.edu