Questions: Micropolis 1558 and printcap for LN03R

Marty Lyons lecgwy!lyons at rutgers.edu
Thu Feb 16 18:08:51 AEST 1989

Hi.  Two questions for all you sun-spotters out there.

First, hardware.  We have a 3/260, with a Micropolis 1558 (1218 cyl, 15
heads, 35 sectors, alt 2) mounted on a SCSI Emulex MD21 controller (at
address 200000).  We also have a separate 3/50, with a shoebox Micropolis
1325 (1022 cyl, 8 heads, 17 sectors, alt 2).  What we would like to do is
plug this 1325 shoebox into our 3/260.  I spoke to our TSE, who checked
with some Sun hardware folks, and this is doable.  Our problem is we
haven't purchased the hardware contract yet (No, I don't understand why
either).  Our Sun TSE has told us that if we do get the 260 open, we
should be able to plug the shoebox into a SCSI cable beneath the tape unit
(SCSI 1/4" tape - unsure which type drive).  Has anyone done a similar
procedure?  Are there going to be any special procedures such as jumper
installation we should watch out for?  We may be forced into doing this if
management doesn't feel comfortable approving the hourly rate maintenance
contract, so any advice is appreciated.

Question 2: Does anyone have a printcap entry to drive a DEC LN03R
Scriptprinter?  These are our in-house Postscript printers, cabled to DEC
terminal servers.  We would like to be able to use them over the net.  The
standard entry for LN03's which I use on a version of Ultrix works fine
over the network; I can't find any Postscript entries however.

As always, thanks in advance.

---
Marty Lyons, Lockheed Electronics Company, 1501 U.S. Highway 22,
CS #1, M/S 147, Plainfield, N.J. 07061-1501 (201) 757-1600 x3156
LYONS at LECGWY.LEC.LOCKHEED.COM or LYONS%LECGWY.UUCP at AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM