Information sought on Solbourne Computers

Chuck Musciano chuck at trantor.harris-atd.com
Fri Feb 3 23:23:48 AEST 1989

> However, we have just seem some specs for this Solbourne Computer (just
> announced, I believe) which has a Fujitsu SPARC CPU together with
> SunOS/SunView/NeWS etc licensed from Sun.

The Solbourne is priced about 25% lower than the equivalent Sun machine,
and is completely binary compatible.  It runs a licensed copy of SunOS,
right from Sun.

Consider this, though: Sun is not stupid.  They would not license their
product to another company who is undercutting them by 25% unless they
were ready to roll out significant price/performance improvements in the
near future.  Wait for the February product announcements that were hinted
at at the Miami SUG.  I predict you'll find a better, cheaper machine to
meet your needs.

Chuck Musciano
Advanced Technology Department
Harris Corporation