Async/Bisync Products Wanted for Sun 386i

Pete Granger cg-atla!granger at decvax.dec.com
Wed Feb 1 21:41:52 AEST 1989

Greetings to all. This is my first foray into any of the newsgroups
listed, so I'm not sure whether my message is appropriate to them. If it
isn't, please just ignore it.

Since my task is not very well defined, I have to ask my questions in
rather broad terms. I will be glad to provide any further information that
might be needed in order to get the right answers, provided I can find it.
That may not be easy.

I've been asked to look into any available communications software and
hardware for the Sun 386i, which supports SDLC, async, and bisync
protocols. It isn't necessary for one product to support all three, but
that would probably be advantageous. We are looking for anything available
from Sun (although it doesn't seem that there is anything) or from
third-party vendors.

The current product which we are attempting to replace has the following
capabilities:

   1) Async File Transfer--TTY Async Protocol for sending as well as
      receiving. Supports menu selectable flow control, data rate, parity,
      and code set (ASCII or proprietary).

   2) Bisync File Transfer--2780, 2770, 3780 versions of Bisync protocol
      for receiving only. Supports selectable data rate and code set
      (ASCII or EBCDIC).

   3) Terminal Mode--Generic Async only. Provides access to timesharing
      systems to initiate file transfer and provides communications
      monitoring.

   4) String Translate--user programmable data format converter.

Note that (4) is not essential, since it can be done via a separate
function. However, if such a facility is available, it would be a plus.
Also, speed is very important.

This is all to run under Unix, on the Sun 386i.

Anyone who has such a product available, or has used one, or knows of any
articles on the subject, or could even get me in touch with someone who
has first-hand information, can contact me via e-mail at the address
below.

Thank you for your assistance.
--
Pete Granger            ...!{decvax,ulowell,ima,ism780c}!cg-atla!granger
Associate Software Engineer