Kernel Building and cmdtool?

Micky Liu micky at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
Thu Feb 23 16:40:35 AEST 1989

On a Sun 3/140 running SunOS 3.5...

I have been trying to find the correct procedure for having swap space on
more than one disk...  I found that I must have an entry in my /etc/fstab
and that I must rebuild the kernel with something like:

     config root on sd0 swap on sd0 and sd2

Is this true?  Do I have to rebuild the kernel like this or is swapon(8)
enough to add the swap space?  I have tried w/o modifying the kernel and
swapon doesn't work...  Am I missing something?

What I am trying to do is be able to disconnect the other disk drive in
case of failure and still be able to boot, actually  want to be able to
boot off of either if one should fail, as has actually happened in the
last week...

Second thing I noticed and I am not sure if it has something to do with my
kernel fooling, but I noticed that when I start up suntools, it fails on
the cmdtool creation and I get some error message like:

     window: could not open subwindow (something like that)

and it appears that cmdtool has failed to intercept the console because
and messages that get sent to /dev/console echo on the console and mess up
the display...  Everything else appears to work after I refresh the
display, but it is annoying to have a cmdtool that doesn't redirect the
console, and yes, the "-C" flag is in place...

I thought it had something to do with me messing with the kernel, but when
I restored the GENERIC kernel and rebooted, the problem persisted...  Any
clues?

Thanx,

Micky Liu

  arpa: micky at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
  uucp: ...!rutgers!columbia!eastend!m-liu
bitnet: malua at cuvmc