HDB UUCP availability? Ethernet netmask on OS 3.x?

Ed Clarke bywater!acheron!clarke at acheron.epc.ibm.com
Wed Feb 1 15:40:17 AEST 1989

I use HDB uucp on a variety of non-Sun systems.  When I forget and say
'uustat -a' on a Sun 3, I get a message that says something like 'Uustat
is not available on your system'.  Does this imply that Sun has HDB for
sale?  Does anyone out there have HDB up and working on a Sun 3 (OS is
4.0)?

On another subject, the guy down the hall just got a Pixar system from our
graphics group.  The Pixar is driven by a Sun 4 that has a back-level
(3.x) operating system on it [ we will upgrade to 4.0 as soon as we get
the tape from Sun ].  In the mean time, does any one out there know how to
specify a netmask for the ethernet?  We have class 'B' addresses on our
main net; we've temporarily stuck the Pixar off on a private class 'C' net
through a router.  OS 4.0 uses a netmask parameter on the ifconfig of ie0.
OS 3.x doesn't seem to support this.  And we only have OS 4.0 manuals ...

Ed Clarke
uunet!bywater!acheron!clarke