ypprintcap and 386i with 3/160

Glenn Roberts gfr at cobra.mitre.org
Fri Feb 24 01:25:12 AEST 1989

> We have just recieved 2 SUN 386i's and already have a SUN 3/160. I have
> been succussful in setting up the NFS and can rlogin in to each from
> any, but in setting up the printer so anyone can use them I come up
> with the message "can't read yp printcap"

You should have a file /etc/ypprintcap on the 386i's which contains an
entry for the printer you want to access (default is 'lp').  If this is an
Apple laserwriter the entry might be something like:

lp|lw|postscript|PostScript|cobra-ttya:\
        :rm=cobra:rp=lw:sd=/var/spool/lw:lf=/var/spool/lw/error-log:

the 'rm=cobra:rp=lw' entries say that this printer is remotely located on
the machine named cobra (substitute the name of the machine your printer
is hooked up to) and that the printer is known as 'lw' on that machine.
Then on that machine have an entry in the /etc/printcap file for the
printer 'lw' (you presumably already have that!).

If you change anything in /etc/ypprintcap make sure you update the YP
database by doing a

   cd /var/yp;make

- Glenn Roberts, The MITRE Corp., McLean VA (703) 883-6820
  gfr at cobra.mitre.org