determining the real directory when using automounts

Brent Callaghan brent%terra at sun.com
Tue Feb 28 21:26:43 AEST 1989

In article <8902090049.AA21344 at hector.homer.nj.att.com>, ekrell at ulysses.att.com writes:
> In ksh, pwd is a builtin which returns the "logical" name of the current
> working directory, so if you "cd /foo/bar", pwd always returns "/foo/bar",
> even if you're in a different place as a consequence of following symbolic
> links or other such wierdness.

Just to follow up on Eduardo's comment: I automount my home directory.
I'm a ksh user so I see what I expect to see when I do a pwd in my home
directory "/home/sparky/brent".  The C shell also maintains $PWD.  You can
get the same effect as the ksh builtin just by setting up pwd as an alias
to echo $PWD.  Just make sure that the csh hardpaths option isn't set (I
don't think it is by default).

The mount point names are a little more attractive if you use the 4.0.1
automounter.  The "/tmp_mnt/autoa12345" mount points have been replaced by
a scheme that gives you the same path except for a prepended "/tmp_mnt"
e.g. a /bin/pwd of my home directory now gives
"/tmp_mnt/home/sparky/brent".

Made in New Zealand -->  Brent Callaghan  @ Sun Microsystems
			 uucp: sun!bcallaghan
			 phone: (415) 336 1051