Avoiding Sendmail in 4.0 clients

Keith Sklower sklower%bay.Berkeley.EDU at ginger.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 2 16:17:26 AEST 1989

In a previous sun-spots, Charlie Dennett of Eastman Kodak asks for advice
on choosing to run clients without sendmail.  Sun recommends this as a
``performance enhancement'' for 4.0.  (I call a spade a spade, and this
technique seems more like a desparation measure).

Charlie (and others): If all the other suns in kodak are running the name
daemon, and you can persuade everybody to run the version of sendmail that
consults it, then you can enter ``MX'' records for the clients to be
directed to the server instead.

Another technique is to rewrite your sendmail configuration files so that
all the mail appears to originate from the server, rather than the client.
(I am not a sendmail wizard but at least 2 people around here have done
it).

Neither of these is a fool-proof solution, but it may help.