SUN 4/110 vs. DECstation 3100?

Cristy cristy at vax1.acs.udel.edu
Thu Feb 23 15:19:52 AEST 1989

My supervisor has threatened to cancel my order for a SUN 4/110 after
seeing a DECstation 3100 and hearing the presentation from DIGITAL.  I did
some benchmarks on the 3100 and got a 1.5 speedup on the DECstation 3100
over the SUN 4/110 for integer code and a 2.0 speedup for floating point
benchmarks.  The XLIB windowing is FAST on the DEC.

I intuitively feel the SUN 4/110 is better than the DEC 3100.  But I need
facts.  Please Email me your opinions on either computer and which you
feel is better.  I only have a few days.  If I cannot convince the boss, I
shall have to use a DEC 3100.  Save me from this...