standalone copy and disk partitions

Mike Caplinger mc%miranda.uucp at moc.jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 1 23:22:16 AEST 1989

I recently brought 4.0 up on a Sun 4.  In the course of doing this I
wanted to copy the A partition of sd1 to the A partition of sd0 (you
probably don't want to know why) with standalone copy.  So I loaded
standalone copy and told it to copy from sd(0,1,0) to sd(0,0,0).  When I
came back much later, it had copied the entire sd1 disk to sd0
(coincidentally wiping out the G partition on sd0.)

So be warned that standalone copy doesn't seem to honor partitions as
files.  Maybe it isn't even supposed to, but this surprised me.

Fortunately, I had backup tapes.

	yours for adventures in system installation,
	Mike Caplinger