quotas on print spools?

Charles Williams chuck at wooglin.scc.com
Fri Feb 3 12:17:47 AEST 1989

Is there anyway to implement a quota mechanism on print spoolers that
would limit the size of otems that could be sent to the printer??

I have an Apple LaserWriter connected to a SUN 3/260 that serves as a
network wide print spooler. I want to prevent people from printing large
(20+ pages) documents during peak hours. Any suggestions??

Chuck

[[ Well, there is a printcap capability called "mx" which sets the maximum
allowable file size (in file system blocks) for queued files.  You can set
that on a per-queue basis.  But if you want to change it for off-peak
hours, that's a little different.  I guess you could actually change the
value in printcap twice a day:  lpr is the one that decides to reject
entries that are too large; lpd doesn't reread printcap when it changes,
but that shouldn't matter in this case.  --wnl ]]