Popup window version of rwall?

-David C. Kovar daedalus!corwin at talcott.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 22 15:15:10 AEST 1989

Our users tend to cover the entire display with one application window,
effectively covering up the console. They'll happily ignore the beeps
indicating that a console message has arrived and thus will be quite
oblivious to the fact that the file server is about to take a two hour
nap. I'd like to be able to send a message to all of the active clients
that would be displayed in a popup window with a "Done" box on top of all
other existing windows. Has anyone done anything like this? Any pointers
to easily modified code to do something like this?

I started tearing apart someone's SDI game and managed to get a window to
pop up once and vanish in an instant. Unfortunately, I lack the time to
investigate it's behaviour in depth at the moment. Any leads would be
quite appreciated.

-David Kovar

[[ Something that works along these lines is Chuck Musciano's "contool".
This tool requests to receive all the console messages (thus taking the
place of the "CONSOLE" cmdtool) and will stay in a iconic state until it
receives a console message.  Then it opens itself up (on top of all other
windows) and beeps.  One must use the "Close" menu selection to get it out
of the way.  It is in the archives under "sun-source" as "contool.shar".
It can be retrieved via anonymous FTP from the host "titan.rice.edu" or
via the archive server.  For more information about the archive server,
send a mail message containing the word "help" to the address
"archive-server at rice.edu".  I use it all the time in place of the standard
console cmdtool.  It's great!  --wnl ]]