How well do HP and SUN workstations mix

Anthony A. Datri hsi!stpstn!aad at uunet.uu.net
Sat Feb 11 09:55:48 AEST 1989

dfh at uncecs.edu (David Hinnant) writes:
>drive because (in my limited experience) HP TAPE DRIVES CANNOT READ  TAPES
>CREATED ON ANY NORMAL MACHINE.  Also I cannot read normal tapes in my HP
>machine.  What's the scoop? Has anyone found an exception to this?

Their cartridges are pre-formatted, and I also believe they are written in
the opposite direction relative to things like Suns.  You can use an
HP-type tape in a Sun or whatnot, but it'll never work in an HP again.

>Watch out for mail on the HP.  Sucks.

One of my predecessors had the insight to replace the sendmail.cf file on
ours with one from a Sun.  Didn't work at all.  I've never been able to
figure out how to get the real one off the distribution tape.

Anthony A. Datri @SysAdmin(Stepstone Corporation) aad at stepstone.com stpstn!aad