Hardcopy of console system

Gregory N. Bond munnari!melba.oz.au!gnb at uunet.uu.net
Wed Feb 8 10:18:14 AEST 1989

Enclosed is a little utility I hacked up to do something similar.  It is
run from our rc.local script:

	consolelog /dev/ttya /usr/logs/`hostname`

and logs all console messages to the named files.  If it is sent a SIGHUP
it will re-open all the files.  This allows a sequence like

	mv logfile logfile.old; kill -HUP pid

to trim the log.  The filename "-" is recognised as stdout and is not
reopened with a SIGHUP.

This was based on "contool" by Chuck Musciano.  (I have a similar feature
hacked into contool.)  Many thanks!

Shar and enjoy!!

Greg.
--
Gregory Bond, Burdett Buckeridge & Young Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Internet: gnb at melba.bby.oz.au    non-MX: gnb%melba.bby.oz at uunet.uu.net
Uucp: {uunet,mnetor,pyramid,ubc-vision,ukc,mcvax,...}!munnari!melba.bby.oz!gnb

[[ The shar file has been placed in the archives under "sun-source".  It
is 10737 bytes long and is called "consolelog.shar".  It can be retrieved
via anonymous FTP from the host "titan.rice.edu" or via the archive
server.  For more information about the archive server, send a mail
message containing the word "help" to the address
"archive-server at rice.edu".  --wnl ]]
--
Gregory Bond, Burdett Buckeridge & Young Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Internet: gnb at melba.bby.oz.au    non-MX: gnb%melba.bby.oz at uunet.uu.net
Uucp: {uunet,mnetor,pyramid,ubc-vision,ukc,mcvax,...}!munnari!melba.bby.oz!gnb