Sun386i's and an existing YP domain

Jim Budler jim at eda.com
Thu Feb 9 18:00:40 AEST 1989

gfr at cobra.mitre.org (Glenn Roberts) writes:
> > All I want to do is...put a 386i on my net which can, boot itself,
> > and coexist with the YP master (a 3/280)....
>
> As part of the 4.0.1 release for the Sun386i Sun now supports diskless
> 386i's off a Sun 3 or 4 server running SunOS 4.0.  Presumably this means
> you could have diskful machines in a Sun 3-based or Sun 4-based YP domain,
> but I don't see explicit instructions on it.

My sun386i's (4 of them) are running quite contentidly on our yellow pages
net, with the master running on a sun 3/280 sunOS 3.5. One slave yp
master, also on a sun 3 sunOS 3.5.

There is nothing to prevent it, only the desire on sun's part not to have
to document the delta of system administration.

Snap can't do anything except backup, but then from comments I've heard it
wouldn't matter anyway, 'cause I wouldn't use it.

How to:

1. Leave the sun386i off the net while configuring it standalone. Or put
it on the netand hit the stop key when it says "searching for ...".  I
forget exactly, but at any rate wind up at this point with a machine which
is not running ethernet, and not on YP.

2. Manually configure ethernet in the normal fashion for sunOS3.5. Use the
arp address you will use in step 6, below.

3. Break the rules and manually edit the file /etc/net.conf. Mine looks like
this:
-----------
HOSTNAME=eda
DOMAINNAME=eda
NETWORKED=yes
PNP=no
VERBOSE=no
-----------
You will need to set HOSTNAME, and DOMAINNAME appropriately, if the auto
configuration hasn't already. Change NETWOKED to yes. PNP is nasty so
don't change it ( I set it to yes when I was experimenting with this and I
don't remember how I dug myself out of the hole I got into).

3. Hook up your ethernet cable. Reboot.

4. Add the sunOS4 automounter maps (auto.master, auto.home, auto.vol)
to your yellow pages master, and your yp makefile.

5. Add the sun386 policies map also.

6. Add your sun386i to the yellow pages master hosts file.

7. Push these maps.

8. Manually configure your sun386i as a yp client. The same steps as for
sunOS 3.5, namely edit hosts, passwd, group, etc. adding the '+' keys.
Rename /usr/etc/ypbind.orig to /usr/etc/ypbind. (Not positive that's the
original name, it might be ypbind- 8^)

9. Reboot.

Disclaimer:
This is entirely from memory, so is also entirely at YOUR own risk.

jim
--
Jim Budler   address = uucp: ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
					 domain: jim at eda.com
			 voice	 = +1 408 986-9585
			 fax	 = +1 408 748-1032