Fig - what is it?

Brian Thorstad thorstad at wooglin.scc.com
Thu Feb 16 21:10:30 AEST 1989

This is a simple question, but after asking a colleage who also did not
know, I decided to put it out for general comment.  I will summarize and
post the responses.

Exactly what is Fig?  Whose protocol is it, and where can more information
be found?

Thanks in advance.

Brian Thorstad
Contel Federal Systems
(thorstad at wooglin.scc.com)

[[ No need for a summary.  "Fig" is a SunView tool that is similar to a
drawing program on a certain well-known personal computer (that is,
M*cDraw).  It stores data on disk in its own format, but there are plenty
of tools available to convert that format to pic, PicTeX, LaTeX picture
mode, and other formats.  Fig itself includes the ability to write a Sun
rasterfile containing the current image.  Fig (version 1.4) is available
from the Rice archives in "sun-source" as 9 separate shar files:
"fig.shar.01" through "fig.shar.09".  There are also a few patch files:
"fig.mesard.patch" and "fig1.4.patch".  They can be retrieved via
anonymous FTP from the host "titan.rice.edu" or via the archive server.
For more information about the archive server, send a mail message
containing the word "help" to the address "archive-server at rice.edu".
--wnl ]]