New Sun products

Steve Sutphen steve at cs.ualberta.ca
Fri Feb 24 02:25:43 AEST 1989

What I heard about the announcement is that it will take place on April
11&12 and will include some 26 new products.  I can only guess that the
announcement is being spread over two days as there are likely two major
product areas -- industrial/business and educational.  It certainly seems
rather late to me for this announcement as some of the items were supposed
to be announced last Fall.

On a related question - has anyone taken the plunge and put a socket into
the space next to the 68020 chip in a Sun 3/60 and tried to make it run
with a 68030 CPU?  I heard that the pads were installed for testing the
`30 chips as they were just being announced when the 3/60 was being put to
bed.

	steve at cs.ualberta.ca

[[ On another related note:  before discussing as-yet unannounced products
please make sure that you are not violating an agreement with the vendor.
Sun will make certain information known to certain institutions ahead of
time, but always under a non-disclosure agreement.  In fairness to them
(and to your own lawyers), you should make sure that you are not violating
any such agreement by mentioning unannounced products.  I will not censor
any information sent to Sun-Spots:  once it is sent to "Sun-Spots at rice.edu",
it's as good as public knowledge.  Contributors will have to consider the
possible ramifications before mailing the information.  --wnl ]]