Help : <exiting> cannot be killed

A N D R E A S 861087p at aucs.uucp
Thu Jan 19 14:18:47 AEST 1989

I can't seem to kill a process that is stuck in the <exiting> status. I
tried sure kills etc. nothing seems to work. Any ideas would be helpful.
Please e-mail.

Thanks in advance.

[[ Try killing the process's parent.  <exiting> processes are usually
waiting for their parents to "wait" on them.  But I have seen <exiting>
processes get thoroughly stuck (not on SunOS, but on 4.2 BSD).  They
wouldn't go away without a reboot.  I'll put a detailed explanation of
<exiting> processes in the next issue.  It might even be right!  --wnl ]]

Andreas Pikoulas    USENET:   {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!861087p
Acadia University   BITNET:   861087p at Acadia
Wolfville, NS       Internet: 861087p%Acadia.BITNET at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
CANADA  B0P 1X0     (902) 542-5623