shelltool child of another shelltool

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Wed Jan 4 07:23:27 AEST 1989

>Here is a bug, unless someone can convince me it is a feature.

It's a hard-to-fix bug, I think.  I'll bet "ecsh" sets the tty modes to
the form you specify when it's running (so it can see each character as
you type it, and do the neat things you mention), and sets them back to
normal when running a program in the foreground (so that program doesn't
get confused).

Unfortunately, it probably doesn't do that when it runs a program in the
background, since it still owns the terminal.  "shelltool" wants to set
the tty modes for the new pseudo-tty to match your "standard" ones; it
does so by reading the modes on the terminal from which it was run.
Unfortunately, if you do it in the background, it picks up the "funny"
"ecsh" modes....

The Korn shell in EMACS mode does much the same thing, and causes much the
same problem.

Workaround: try running it in the foreground and, once it's started up,
type ^Z and background it.  That way the modes will be "normal" when it
starts up.

>Incidentally, the olny reason I am running a shelltool from within another
>shelltool rather than from the menu is that I need it -Wn and that is not
>an escape sequence which I can echo from within the shell.

In that case, just add a new menu item to your root menu that runs
"shelltool" with the "-Wn" flag (if you don't have a root menu file of
your own, but use the system default one, copy that one and make it yours,
and then edit it).  Worked for me, at least under 4.0.